I just received notice from The Planet and from Softlayer that they are wrapping up the work on merging the 2 companies. On November 16th the merger will be completed and all products and services will be branded under the Softlayer brand name. This is an interesting development. Here is some information that I received from Softlayer/The Planet.
The new SoftLayer provides:
• An expanded product line, with new products and services not available to you before.
• Industry-leading automation, Customer Portal, and Open API, for direct access to more than 150 backend systems and activities.
• Increased geographic diversity and the ability to choose where your servers reside.
• High-speed network and multiple PoPs, providing more than 1,500G of connectivity and direct connections for lower latency.
• Exclusive network architecture that weaves together distinct Public, Private, and Data Center-to-Data Center networks built.
• Improved Service Level Agreement with 100% uptime and 2-hour or less hardware replacement (failure or upgrade) guaranteed.
• Greater value for your business, including more performance per dollar, a larger international presence, and expanded partnerships with industry leaders.
It will be interesting to see how this merger affects the market. The Planet was already one of the biggest players, while Softlayer was more like “the new kid on the block” when the company was started a few years ago. I was actually a customer with them for a while when they had a rough phase with keeping their network and the servers up and running. At that time I moved back to The Planet where I was before as I could not live the downtime. Since then Softlayer has addressed the issues they had back then and it is a top player in the market these days. No wonder that the 2 companies are a great fit.